Do you have a special devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary? If so, what kind of devotion do you have? According to St. Louis Marie de Montfort in his book True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary, there are seven kinds of false devotions.
1. Critical devotees - are those who do not have a clear devotion to Mary. They criticize all those forms of Marian devotions and practices that do not appeal to them. They hardly believe or question the truths of the miracles that are attributed to the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
2. Scrupulous devotees - are those who consider devotion to Mary as separate from devotion to Jesus. They consider devotion to Mary as an offense to Jesus.
3. Superficial devotees - are devotees who do not have an interior devotion to Mary. Their devotion consists only of the external practices.
4. Presumptuous devotees - are devotees who continue to live in sin thinking that God will accept them in heaven just because they have a devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary.
5. Inconstant devotees - are those whose devotion to Mary is only good at the start. Sometimes they are fervent in their devotion, other times they are lukewarm. Their devotion depends only on their feelings.
6. Hypocritical devotees - are sinners who hide their sins and evil habits under the name of Mary.
7. Self-interested devotees - are those who have a special devotion to Mary not because they love her but because they need her help and intercession.