What is genuine devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary?
1. True devotion to Mary is interior - it comes from within the heart and mind and follows from the love we bear her.
2. True devotion to Mary is trustful - it fills us with confidence in the Blessed Virgin Mary, just like the confidence of a child for its mother.
3. True devotion to Mary is holy - it leads us to avoid sin and to imitate the virtues of Mary.
4. True devotion to Mary is constant - it is guided by faith and not by feelings. It strengthens our desire to lead good Christian lives.
5. True devotion to Mary is disinterested - it inspires us to seek God in His Blessed Mother and not ourselves. Mary's true devotees serve her out of love and not for selfish gain.
Source: From the book True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary
Author: St. Louis Marie de Montfort