Skip to main content

THE EVIL OF BACKBITING

I am one of those who are guilty of this crime. I call backbiting a crime because it is like a dagger that penetrates deep into the inner core of a person's personality without that person's knowledge. It damages or destroys that person's image, name and reputation.

What is more disgusting is that sometimes, the backbiters are the person's friends, colleagues and relatives. It is more painful when the one who talks against you behind your back are those people who are close to you or those whom you trust, than those who do not like you or hate you. The victims of this crime are usually stabbed at their backs without their knowledge. The perpetrators are sometimes cannot be suspected because they are usually kind and friendly when they are in front of you. 

Backbiting is like eating sweets, the moment you start talking against a person, you could hardly stop. It is like a sugarcoated deadly poison.

Jesus, during his time was also a victim of backbiting. I am also one of the victims of this crime too. Well, unlike Jesus, I deserve it because I also stab people at their backs. I realized that I do not have the right to get mad when somebody talks against me behind my back.

This is one of the evils that I am presently working on removing from my system. It is so unchristian especially to someone who professes to be a devotee of the Blessed Virgin Mary. What a shame! Shame on me!

How to remove this virus from my life? One of my techniques is to always remember the saying "Do not do unto others what you do not want others will do unto you." What would I feel if people talks against me, ridicule me, or slanders me without my knowledge? I would also take into consideration the fact that God hears and knows every word that I say. 

See? I am not perfect; I am also a disgusting sinner, that's why I need to pray every day. Prayer especially the Rosary prayer is one of the best weapons against this evil called backbiting.

Popular posts from this blog

BLESSED JOHN PAUL II'S TOTUS TUUS

"Totus Tuus".   It is a Latin phrase which means "I am totally yours." This was Blessed John Paul II's motto addressed to the Blessed Virgin Mary. Have you ever wondered why John Paul II had so much devotion to Mary? Source: Wikimedia Commons / cc In his book, Crossing The Threshold of Hope, John Paul II explained that his motto Totus Tuus  was not just an expression of piety and devotion, it was his total abandonment and personal consecration to the Mother of God. His deep devotion to Mary was manifested in many different ways; among these is his Coat of Arms which bears the letter M that stands for Mary. Even his coffin has a letter M on it.  He credited St. Louis Marie de Montfort for his Totus Tuus  when he read the saint's book "True Devotion to Mary." John Paul II came to know the book "True Devotion to Mary" when he worked as a factory worker at a chemical plant during World War II. He studied the book and oftent...

AMERICA'S ABORTION RATE DECREASES

cc photo by Cristi Sebastian Photography on flickr Good news to all of us who are pro-life. Last February 3, 2014, Guttmacher Institute , an organization that works to advance reproductive health including abortion rights, and a former research arm of Planned Parenthood, reported on their site that " U.S. Abortion Rate Hits Lowest Level Since 1973 ". The all-time highest abortion rate in the U.S. was in 1981 with 29.3 abortions per 1,000 women, but in 2011, the abortion rate was 16.9 per 1,000 women aged 15-44, which was a drop of 13%. Guttmacher also reported that the number of abortion providers decreased by 4% and the number of abortion clinics dropped by 1%. There was no concrete reason for the decrease of the abortion rate, but it was believed that the 106 pro-life laws enacted in 2008 to 2011 with the majority of the laws went into effect in late 2011 had something to do with the decline of the abortion rate. I believe that this is the result of cons...

THANK YOU POPE FRANCIS FOR VISITING THE PHILIPPINES

Last January 15 - 19, 2015, Pope Francis made an Apostolic Visit in the Philippines, my beloved country. His presence gave us - Filipino Catholics - so much hope and inspiration. His presence made us feel that we are not alone, and that Jesus is always with us especially in the darkest moments of our lives. Pope Francis' homilies and speeches were so memorable and heart-piercing that until now, many Filipinos are still talking about them.  Here are the seven best quotes from Pope Francis' homilies and speeches.